Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Tango of Spring

"Life is like Tango...sad, sensual, sexy, violent, and quiet."
- Unknown


Red Canna - Georgia O'Keeffe, 1923
Oil on canvas, University of Arizona Art Museum


Spring is such an interesting season. We like to think of spring as a romantic time repleat with blossoming flowers and burgeoning with new life. In my mind's eye I can see the nymphs with flower garlands dancing in the newly verdant meadows and the faerie folk blissfully taking a dip in the pond deep in the woods. Idyllic Spring, right? I suppose the transition from winter to summer takes place peacefully some years, but not this one.

This year, Spring has come upon us with all the fire and passion of a tango. Like the dance, the last few weeks have been a push-me, pull-you season of moments of great beauty interspersed with moments of anguish.

I feel the struggle of the season, and I know others have felt it, too. One dear friend has been posing the question,"What's happening this spring?" in many different ways, deeply feeling the tango of this spring in her soul.  Another friend, an artist, has found himself nearly obsessed with a painting he's working on of....what else? The Tango.  Talk about feeling the dance.

I love passion. I'm in awe of Mother Nature. I adore watching good dancers, and Mother Nature is one of the best.

But really, can we have a nice waltz now?

I wish you a beautiful spring day today.

The four seasons have been the topic of many composers through the ages. How does one attempt to musically describe spring? Well, Vivaldi held the same romantic notions I hold, and his great work, "The Four Seasons" is timeless.

Unfortunately, his music in no way describes our spring this year. For this fiesty spring, I'm selecting the Argentinian composer, Astor Piazzolla's "Four Seasons of Buenos Aires" - Primavera Portena (Spring). This is performed with all the fiery passion of the season by Peter Wienhardt on Piano, Johannes Brandl on Violin, and Nicolas Altstaedt on Cello. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your visit makes my heart smile. Thank you.