Sunday, May 8, 2011

Motherhood--A Sacred Honor

"The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men - from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes




Detail from The Three Ages of Woman -- Gustav Klimt
Oil on Canvas, c.1905


I jump happily onto the bandwagon today to express my heartfelt gratitude to my mother, whose job is done now, and to all the mothers and mother substitutes and mothers pro tem and mother hopefuls who have known or desire to know motherhood.

This year, I feel more keenly than ever what a sacred honor it is to be a mother. Rather than hearing from my three sons and one daughter about how much I've sacrificed, how hard I've worked, and how much I've given them...blah,blah,blah, I'd like for them to hear how very much I've gained by being their mother:

 
From my firstborn, I earned the sacred name of Mother. Since then, he's taught me perseverence, patience, and how to rise above difficult circumstances. He never ceases to inspire and amaze me.

From my second son, I earned insight. No two children are alike, and sometimes, still waters run very, very deep. I witnessed in him a soul-felt search for justice in the world that never ends.

From my third son, I received sheer joy. And though the light that he brought into our family is a bright light filled with charm and happiness, he also taught me that strong, determined men can have gentle and sensitive souls.

From my only daughter, I earned a new perspective. She pulled me, a scientist, into a world of beauty and grace and soul that I had only the barest hint had existed. She lives a life of passion, discipline, and sacrifice, but lives it with joy and great purpose. From her I have learned that determined people need not be loud or agressive, but can be quiet, respectful, and pleasant to be around.

I feel deep gratitude today for the sacred honor of motherhood.  The gifts they have bestowed upon me are not those of the material world (though they are greatly appreciated) that are given once each year. They are the priceless daily gifts of enlightenment, insight, joy, and perspective. 

How lucky am I? Thank you, Anthony, Courtland, Spencer, and Andrea, for the great gift of being your mother. I love you.

The music selection today falls under the category of Because It's My Day and I Like It. This is undoubtedly one of the loveliest pieces of music every written. It is Tchaikovsky's "Serenade for Strings in C major, Op. 48", the fourth movement, the finale.

This wonderful version is Maxim Vengerov conducting the UBS Verbier Festival Chamber Orchestra. The other three movements are different but equally beautiful...please find them on YouTube for the complete experience. I feel love, passion, pathos, hope, and joy when I hear this music. That's pretty much how I feel about being a mother...enjoy. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your visit makes my heart smile. Thank you.