Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Inside the Snow Globe

A quiet morning. A significant morning. I want to appreciate the stillness of this precious space in which I dwell today. I will remember this day. Let me remember it with love and gratitude.


In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,

Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;

Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,

In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.


Christina Rossetti
Excerpt from "In the Bleak Midwinter"



























































These images were made in 1885 by Wilson A. Bentley, and in
Present day by Kenneth G. Libbrecht 




 The music is by Giacomo Puccini's great opera, Madama Butterfly. This portion is called "The Humming Chorus. In this poignant scene at the end of Act II, Butterfly maintains a vigil through the night, waiting for her love to return. The chorus stands offstage singing this melancholy tune, foreshadowing the tragedy to come.

I wish you peace as chaste and gentle as the scene outside today.

9 comments:

  1. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Yes? Winter isn't going to slip away just because we want to be out there walking around. I hate that.

    Next best thing is to enjoy. Yeah.

    Love the snowflake pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much love and thanks to you today, Reya. Be well, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaahhhhhh!!! So beautiful! Much love to you today Jo.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Vicki. The very same to you. Stay safe! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo. Glad the flakes and blanket make a peaceful scene for your reflection. Yes. Snow on snow and cold on cold. Gaia adorns her white apron with perfect ease. And from the apron's pocket, you bless us with your kindness. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Dubby. Gaia is truly beautiful today in her lovely white apron of snow. I'm grateful for your kind words and poetic observations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the snowflakes! I'm trying to get a profile going here - so bear with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK - worked except for picture. Jo - are you supposed to have to do the wierd word thingie for every comment?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Kathy! Thanks for persevering! I'll see if I can change the settings for the "weird word thingie." I didn't know you had to do that.

    Everything's a learning curve, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Your visit makes my heart smile. Thank you.